Tuesday, October 29, 2013

graduation

At last! Jeff's graduation was last Friday and we had so much fun celebrating it with family and friends.

We started the morning off with breakfast at the squadron and then the family was allowed to test out night vision goggles and see just how they work. That was awesome-- it really helped me understand what Jeff has been talking about the last couple weeks. It also helped me understand why he came home with headaches after some of his night flights! After just a few minutes of testing them out I had a headache right above my eyes. They were still neat though.

Then we took his mom out to see the static display of the Huey. A static display is just an aircraft that is on the ground for viewing.

The only time I plan to ever be on the flight line in heels


Then we headed over to the museum on post for the graduation ceremony. Jeff's mom, aunt, uncle, and I went up on stage to pin on his wings. I don't have the professional photos yet but I did have my friend Jamie take a few shots from the audience. The lighting is terrible in them because they had to hold graduation a few hours earlier than normal for a scheduling conflict and the sun was shining in everyone's eyes. But we still got a few good ones.

The aviation museum at Ft. Rucker with the graduation setup in the background

Jeff receiving his wings from the graduation speaker, MajGen Ellis

Me pinning on Jeff's wings. I punched them into his chest as hard as I could (you're supposed to) but I didn't draw blood (You're supposed to! They're called blood wings).

All of us with LtCol Denehan, the squadron Commander

It was neat. I've been to somewhere between 5-10 graduations since I've been here and I think I finally have the first verse of the Air Force Song down. I first heard it at Dining Out when Jeff was in ROTC. So it only took me a few years. Ha.

After graduation we grabbed lunch on post and then headed out to the simulator where the family was able to fly a helicopter sim. I crashed a couple times but that's why I'm not the one with wings!

In the helicopter, the driver's seat is on the right

Flying somewhere over the local area. We looked for our house but it wasn't built yet.

Jeff also did get me my very own set of wings. I love them. Back during WWII, pilots used to give their girlfriends and wives a smaller set of wings before going overseas. They're called sweetheart wings. I've found this tradition has mainly been kept by the Army, but since we are in an Army community down here and I really like it, we decided to bring it over. I got him a handcrafted wooden rack with his name engraved on it to hold his coins (the link here explains what on earth coins are for).

My wings! Earned those babies with lots of love and support

Next up: something for all those patches.

Before Jeff's mom left town we took a little trip to the beach for the day while Jeff was working. It was a beautiful day down there! I'm glad we went because it was perfect weather. We walked along the beach, ate at Margaritaville, and did a little shopping. We had a really great time.

Now everyone has left town and this graduation business has settled down. And yet.... these are still not carved. On October 29th.

Chipper giving us a subtle hint.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that coin holder! And your wings are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, congrats to Jeff! (and you for supporting him) :)

    ReplyDelete

whatcha think?